The Good (What have I done right?)
- Was careful about my words
- Pushed through an unexpected and nearly overwhelming wave of negative thoughts and emotions which would have been crippling
- Attempted to connect with others in a new way despite desire to escape all interactions
The Bad (What I have I done wrong?)
- Let the negative thoughts fester
- Rejected small comforts when offered
- Made someone else’s irritability about me
The Left Undone (What should I do next time?)
- Identify innocuous activity which brings about constructive joy
- Do this activity at first realization of feeling down
- Acknowledge mood and welcome attempts to help with gratitude – they are usually done out of care and good intentions
- Remember that the behavior of others should not impact my emotions – they may be reacting to work, health, hunger, or even me and my irritability! Accept their good will with thanks and good cheer. It is a sign of love and affection.
I cannot pinpoint any one thing which caused me to feel so dismal today. It could be a lack of sleep, a severe wave of feeling inferior or impostor’s syndrome at work, a minor tiff with the partner, etc. More than likely it is the unholy superposition of all of these.
All I know is, I really hope that tomorrow is better. Perhaps I should take steps to increase those chances…